Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Whatever is lovely

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovelywhatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things..." Philippians 4:8


Don't you just love the word "lovely"?

It's one of the most beautiful words in the English language, in my opinion.
Even the thought of that word triggers images in my mind of simple flowers or a pretty dress that Grace Kelly would have worn. It makes me think of a quaint small town or that feeling you get when everything, even for a moment, seems right with the world. 
It just has that airy peacefulness about it.

There is a feeling even better than that airy peacefulness that can come only through Christ. Jesus can give us the type of peace that surpasses all understanding of this world. In fact, the verse right before this promises us this.


Philippians 4:8 calls us to 'think about these things'. Things that are true--not lies from the enemy; things that are honorable--not things that bring guilt or shame. Thoughts that are lovely; not those that are ugly are hateful. 

I am learning that my thought life and prayer life should be so intertwined that my natural thoughts throughout the day can be simple, honest connections with the Creator of the universe.


With that, I am so guilty of letting my mind wander throughout the day. A day that can start in the Word and listening to Rend Collective on the way to work can quickly fizzle into being overwhelmed, stressed and negative. By the time I drive home I am left frustrated by red lights and wondering why I am even here.

"Prone to wander, party of one."

Yes, I could mope about how things did not go just right, or dwell in the land of negativity and comparison in my mind, but He has called me to so much more than that. 

This is where grace comes in.

I don't have to dwell in my guilt. I can have freedom through Christ! There truly is power in the name of Jesus. 
Jesus died on the cross and rose again for all our sins-past, present and future.
Amazing! 
Powerful. 
Beautiful. 
Lovely. 
Grace.

That is what I will think about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment